Natural Remedies to Help Fight Adrenal Fatigue
Stress can be a dangerous state for the human body if the body stays in that state for a prolonged period. One common result of prolonged stress is Adrenal Fatigue. This is most common following extreme situational or emotional or following an illness. Too often adrenal fatigue goes unaddressed with symptoms ignored as many of us promptly move about in our daily lives hoping we just feel better soon. Hoping it will go away, versus following proper self-care and treatment is what leads to more complicated problems later on.
Some symptoms of adrenal fatigue include: insomnia; problems focusing on topics; short-term memory difficulties; easily feeling overwhelmed, panicked and irascible; lethargy and difficulty waking or feeling refreshed after sleep. Copious amounts of coffee, energy drinks along with other stimulants and feeding sugar cravings might be used to try to combat the feelings of fatigue while exacerbating issues with anxiety and insomnia. The good news is that with some time and a commitment to a balanced, protein-rich and nutrient-rich diet, a full recovery is in your foreseeable future.
7 Tips to Help Combat Adrenal Fatigue:
- Eat appropriate protein amounts for your body. You can calculate your optimum protein intake using this protein calculator. It is recommended that you eat two thirds of this recommended amount in the morning and the last third at lunch with a vegan-based dinner to help aid in the late-night digestion process and promote sleep. Whey protein is an excellent source of additional protein.
- Go to bed at the same time every day. The routine of waking up and going to bed at the same time every day supports your body’s circadian rhythm, and getting your internal clock functioning properly can be a huge step forward in curing insomnia and felling well-rested and energized throughout the day.
- A light evening meal promotes rest. Consuming most of your calories at breakfast and lunch while eating a light evening meal helps your body rest and rejuvenate while sleeping.
- Drink electrolytes in your water. Include a wedge of lemon or lime in your water for added electrolytes. You can also try Pure Encapsulations Electrolyte Formula.
- Go easy on the stimulants. Avoiding sugar, caffeine and energy drinks might seem to give you a quick boost of energy, but it will cause a crash, further straining your adrenal system.
- Chamomile is restorative and soothing. Chamomile in tea form is a soothing remedy, perfect for an evening drink. A more drastic measure is to create a chamomile bath, using four cups of Chamomile flowers in your warm bath water and seep your body in it.
- Exercise daily. Do something every day to raise your heart rate. 3-4 times per week, do some aerobic and/or strength-building activity such as jogging, aerobics, weight lifting. Then, 3-4 times a day, do some light activity such as walking or bicycle riding. Exercise balances out your hormones and levels out your energy to prepare you properly for daily activities and proper rest.