HAIR AND NAIL PROBLEMS
Thinning of hair or hair loss is normal after experiencing a stressful life event or getting an infection. People could have thinning hair when they use too many chemicals like hair sprays or perm/dye preparations. Permanent hair loss could be an inherited trait. Men who become bald probably had fathers who also had premature balding in middle age.
Brittle nails or disfigured nails are caused by either a fungus, injury or an underlying health problem.
Hair Care Tips
- Hair loss or visible empty patches can be concealed by an expert or clever hair cut. To make your hair look fuller and thicker, try to go for a blunt cut.
- Minimize the use of chemical-based products.
- Avoid crash or fad diets. Consume foods rich in iron and protein.
- Avoid hairstyles that pull on your scalp like a tight ponytail. Let your scalp breathe by removing your cap or hat regularly.
- Hair dryers have been known to put pressure on hair. If possible, let your hair dry naturally.
- Only use a natural SLS Free shampoo.
Nail Care Tips
- If your nail is infected, wash your hands regularly and dry the nails and the areas around them thoroughly.
- Wear cotton socks and comfortable shoes. If you have feet that are prone to sweating, take off your shoes at intervals.
- When doing housework and kitchen work, protect your nails by wearing rubber gloves.
- Don’t wear artificial nails, but do apply a coat or two of nail hardener every week.
- When going for a manicure, avoid having your cuticles removed.
Natural Remedies for Hair and Nail Problems
- Skin, Hair and Nail Formula – this natural hair and nail formula is not intended to treat any diseases of the skin, hair and nails that require the attention and supervision of a physician, but it can certainly serve as a helpful complement to a treatment program for damaged hair or nails. Skin, Hair and Nail Formula is fortified with vitamins A, C, D, E and B6 and B12, this natural remedy also contains minerals like zinc, folic acid, biotin, magnesium, selenium and many others.
- Mega-Biotin – DC Labs makes this made in the USA natural product that contains 5,000 mcg of Biotin. This is a dietary supplement that should not be taken if pregnant or breastfeeding. Cellulose, gelatin and magnesium stearate are the other essential ingredients of this natural remedy. In plant life, cellulose is important to build healthy cell walls; in humans, it is an excellent source of fiber.
- Amino Pro Multi-Amino Acid – amino acids are the building blocks of proteins, forming short polymer chains called peptides. Amino Pro, a natural dietary supplement is made in the USA and contains one of the eight essential amino acids needed by the body – lysine.
- Borage Oil – other natural treatments can’t compare to a good Borage Oil supplement. It is an excellent source of GLA – useful fatty acids that the body needs a regular supply of for optimal health.
- Chemical Free Shampoo – Fundamental Earth makes a wonderful Chemical Free Shampoo.
- Gelatin – Gelatin has been used for years to help strengthen weak, brittle nails. You can also buy this amazing natural shampoo on Amazon.
- Natural Face Wash – Fundamental Earth also makes a chemical free natural face wash with organic ingredients.
- Natural Conditioner with Argain Oil – Fundamental Earth has created a luscious hair conditioner with argan oil that moisturizes and protects dry hair. This amazing natural conditioner is Leaping Bunny approved.
- Metagenics EPA-DHA Extra Strength – the omega 3’s as found in EPA-DHA Extra Strength can help strengthen hair and nails.
Nutrition for Hair Health
So there are many ways to support the health of your hair. Special shampoos and conditioners are frequently used, but many times these can actually dry out and damage your hair based on the chemicals that they contain. There are also expensive oils and formulas that can drain your bank account. Out of all these treatments, remedies, and fads, nothing can beat proper nutrition for healthy hair. Just like your brain or heart, your hair also relies on nutrition and the foods that you consume, and B vitamins are among the most important nutrients for your hair.
Deficiencies in B vitamins can be dangerous. They can slow down the metabolism and reduce brain function, and they can also lead to gradual hair loss or graying of the hair. Maintaining proper levels of Vitamin B5, B6, and B12 is particularly important. A deficiency in vitamin B5 is uncommon in today’s world, because it is so readily available through diet, but should it happen, it can certainly affect the hair. A lack of B5 will reduce the rate at which hair grows, and it may eventually lead to hair loss. For those looking to boost vitamin B5 levels, between 25 and 50 milligrams is believed to be beneficial for hair loss.
Vitamin B6 is believed to promote the health of the hair by having a beneficial affect on the body’s steroid hormone receptors. In the body testosterone is converted into dihydrotestosterone, which can negatively affect the hair. It limits the hair’s ability to grow, and it also damages the hair follicle. Dihydrotestosterone causes the hair follicle to constrict, and this eventually makes it unable to produce hair. Vitamin B6 helps to block these dihydrotestosterone receptors, and this reduces the damage it is able to inflict on the follicle. Taking a B6 vitamin supplement is an easy way to make sure that the body is provided with this nutrient, and since it is water soluble the body is able to expel excessive amounts of vitamin B6.
Vitamin B12 is important to cellular health throughout the body, and this is especially true for the hair and skin. It helps with the formation of DNA, which can be found in every cell, and it provides nourishment to the hair follicles. Healthy hair follicles are essential to healthy hair growth, and B12 can help the hair to grow at the proper rate. Losing hair color is the next scariest specter after hair loss, but vitamin B12 may also help with this. It supports amino acids that can help to keep the proper pigment in the hair and skin.
There is no need to spend tons of money and time caring for your hair when it may not be properly nourished. Just like the rest of your body, your hair needs the proper nutrition, and it especially needs B vitamins. Providing vitamins B5, B6, and B12 can be an easy way to help improve the overall health and appearance of your hair.